Sunday 29 October 2017

Just In Time and Momster

 


Some days, weeks, or months are just busy.  It's not a bad busy but it's the kind that you keep chugging along feeling good and all of a sudden BAM you feel like you need to come up for air because you are drowning.  For me, October, and maybe September, have felt that way.  Most of the time I love running in the fast lane, with deadlines, commitments, events, but by the middle of last week the high was no longer there and I felt like quick sand was trying to take  me down.  Alas, we had a free weekend just in time and I declared that we needed to get away to the lake. 

 

Friday finally arrived and after a bad  Thursday night, with Anya waking up off and on in the night,  and an 6 am run, I was completely exhausted by the time evening rolled around .  The kids went to bed and so did I.  Halie wasn't feeling well and started hacking but I gave her some Tylenol and reassured her, and myself, that it would be fine.   Just as Logan and I laid down to watch a show, Anya started crying again and saying her tummy was hurting.  Off she wen to the bathroom and.....PINWORMS.  That was the breaking point.  I am not proud of it but I didn't handle it like a loving mother, it was more like a MOMSTER.  (not happy or proud of it but sometimes we have to admit we make mistakes and we are not perfect).  I said things like, "I keep telling you to wash your hands... keep your fingers out of your mouth....you've had this happen before, when will you learn."  Yes, I said all the wrong things and it really isn't a big deal but when you are running on empty these little bumps can appear like boulders.  Anyway we dealt with it, got the pills, had a shower, washed the sheets, clothes and towels, etc.



 

We pondered whether to go to the lake with one sick and one wormy kid, but I was adamant that we needed to get away.  It was raining all day on Saturday and it was the perfect.  There was no TO DO list, no playdates, no cleaning, no laundry, no phone calls, no 'just one more thing' to get done.  We had  nothing but time and boredom to help us be creative. We played Clue, Monopoly and Trouble.  We cooked supper together.  We watched The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and two Gilmore Girls.  We read.  The girls played.  We hiked.  I ran.  Logan and I talked.  We drank wine. 


 

 

 

We connected.  We felt like a family.  24 hours away from the fast lane was exactly what we needed.  We drove away and I felt like the mom I wanted to be, was meant to be, but I also felt human.  I felt ready for another week ahead and so did my little family.  As we drove away my 10 year old said, "I love the cabin.  I am glad we bought it."  And what I interpret that to mean is, "I love the cabin because I love the family time we get there."

 

What do you do to getaway from life's daily demands?

 

4 comments:

  1. I think a weekend away is just what you guys needed. Plus the Apothic red doesn't hurt ;) Don't be so hard on yourself, girl. You're an amazing mom and you do it ALL!

    --Roxanne
    http://glassofglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, totally feel you and am happy you got to step away from it all. Man, really wish I had a cabin now. Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a beautifull post dear its fantastic...
    https://wpthemesfree.website wp theme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! I just had a really bad week not too long ago, but husband was out of town and my son came down with strep for the 2nd time and our cat needed surgery for eating leaves off a silk plant (and oh, was that expensive!). Hope it slows down for you and it is always nice to have a weekend away!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete