Tuesday 7 July 2020

Simply Perfect 38th Birthday


Hello blogging world.  Its been a minute or maybe a little bit longer.  I don't want to get into my pause, it's not very interesting, but I want to reassure all that my family is well and I am well.  I just lost my voice, my words, my desire, and I needed time to just engage in deep conversation, learning, reflection in my own home and with my children.  Sometimes I feel that the best way for us to impact change is by focusing on our own growth and being role models for our children. 

Putting that aside, I turned 38 yesterday!!!!!  I feel fantastic and when my husband asked what I wanted to do my answer was to keep it simple.  I wanted to see my family and I didn't want to go all out with decorations, or a special photo shoot, or try to round everyone up.   Sometimes there is so much hype and pressure to make this day glamorous and "insta" worthy, but I didn't want it to feel like work.  I wanted it to be a slower pace, or at least one that I choose, with a balance of getting chores accomplished and feeling like I acknowledged the day and myself in some small way.  So here is a real and honest look of my PERFECTLY SIMPLE birthday.

7:00 am Wake up time.

7:15 a.m. 5 km run with Oreo!

8:00 a.m. Shower & get ready for the day. Listened to Brene Brown and Glennon Doyle at the same time. Check this podcast out!!!  If you haven't read the book Untamed by Glennon Doyle, I highly recommend it.   Also, Planned my outfit for dinner, check it out on Fashion Friday on the blog!



8:45 a.m. Coffee and lake laundry begins. We arrived home Sunday night after 10 days at the lake, sooooooo much laundry.



9:30 a.m. Coffee on the deck, answering birthday texts and meal/grocery planning.

10:15a.m. Costco. Yikes it was busy.



12:30 p.m. More laundry.

1:00 pm cleaning.  Halie has asked to learn how  to do a deep clean in the bathroom in order to make some money.  I pay a cleaner usually 2x/month and she would like to try to take one of those time slots for herself, so we are starting off with how to deep clean a bathroom.  She did awesome!!!!  While she was doing that I was off/on bouncing between helping her and vacuuming and washing the floors.

2:15 p.m. Lunch time.

2:40 p.m. Reading on the deck.



3:00 p.m. Nap. Quick naps are my favorite.

3:30 p.m. Sweet birthday surprise by my little Anya. She made me a special birthday treat, marshmallows, melted chocolate and Reese's peanut butter cups, topped with strawberries. Delicious!



4:00 p.m. Caught up on a few more texts and FB messages. More laundry.

4:50 p.m. Started prepping dinner.

5:00 p.m. Freshened up and got dressed for dinner. Followed by some blog pictures in the backyard, details to come on Friday.

6:00 pm Dinner with my parents, grandma and my little family.  It was absolutely delicious and we ate on the deck.




7:00 p.m. My aunt and uncle were able to join us for birthday cake and drinks.  It was exactly what I wished for.  To be surrounded by family.  This was the first time I saw all of these people together since probably February for Logan's birthday.  I've seen them at a social distance here and there but not all together.  I was grateful that we could be together outdoors with some distance.  

My grandma gave me the best card ever.  She kept saying, it's not a birthday card but I didn't want to go to the store to get one (COVID).  I can't imagine wanting to have a better friend than my grandma.

Also, my husband and the girls surprised me with this awesome mug from https://gossby.com/ and I love it!

Most of my family gave me money to help me buy a new lens for my camera and I love it!






9:00 p.m. Ended the evening off with a glass of wine and chatting with my sister and brother -in-law.  Really missing my sister and wishing that we had actual plans in the near future, but I am also thankful for technology.



10:00 p.m. Watched an episode of the Office with my husband.  

A perfectly simple day.  Thank you to everyone that sent messages on social media, texts, voice mails, snaps.  I felt so loved and so acknowledged.  Love everyone in my life, near and far.

Come back on Friday for my regular Fashion Friday post.  

7 comments:

  1. I love perfect simplicity. It is what I believe will get us through the tough stuff. That and GRATITUDE of course. And you are modelling that each and every day. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, thank you so much for saying that. I really try to be more present. YOu know how busy we can get and how we can let it overtake our lives, but stepping back and finding joy in the simple things is just so rewarding. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back and Happy 38th birthday! I am so glad you had the perfect celebration and that you were able to see family. I also love your plan to keep it simple. There's really no need to for Pinterest worthy parties when what matters most is that we are surrounded by the people we love. Your Grandma is so cute. I have heard of Untamed and I can't wait to get my hands on it. It's been awhile since I was able to borrow books from the library. I hope COVID goes away soon so our library can reopen. I hope your week is going well so far and happy Wednesday!

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just needed a minute, or several to process our world and all the heaviness we need to lean into. I am so thankful that I still have my two grandmas and that's a gift that my children have as well. Sometimes finding the one you want to be with and starting a family younger, even though everyone thinks you are nuts, has its perks. I am with you on the library. Missing it like CRAZY.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had the perfect day! I'm glad you were able to spend it with family!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! It was the perfect day and I am so lucky we can see our family again.

      Delete
  4. It really looks like you had a perfectly simple birthday, Bo! That is exactly how I celebrated my birthday this year as well. I hope you had the best day ever!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete