Thursday 17 September 2020

Future Planning and Fall Floral



I admit this with a heavy heart, but summer is over for the most part.  Fall is here.  Brisk mornings.  Often chilly and windy days.   Although I love fall fashion and all the layers, it's always bittersweet to say goodbye to summer.  We have officially returned to school and so far so good, but for the kids its only been a couple of days.  Usually I would have my fall magazines, and be browsing the shops both in person and online but this year I am really struggling to be enthused about buying anything.  I am not really sure why the funk, but it's not so bad for the pocket book.  Hahaha.  At this moment I am all about using the pieces in my closet and giving them lots of spotlight.  A simple dark floral top, paired with some jeans or tucked into a pencil skirt, is the perfect way to transition from our carefree summers to a more structured fall.  I love a moody floral print for a top, dress or a blazer.  


I wore this outfit when we decided to make a Dairy Queen visit with the kids a few weeks ago.  You guys, BLIZZARDS are delicious!!!!!  Seriously, it's been years and I had totally forgotten that they were that good.  The DQ is across the street from the University and we decided to take a stroll through the deserted grounds.  It's sad to see it so quite, while I remember the energy and vibes of young people milling around the grounds, especially as we begin a new school year.  Our University grounds are gorgeous and walking them is always a treat.  As we were walking my girls were both asking so many questions about the different buildings, the process for getting into University, where people live, how many classes you take, how long you go, etc.  My oldest is 13 and it was really neat to hear her saying things like "When I come here"and "This is going to be my building."  That kind of talk tells me that she sees herself as a university graduate.  That she feels confident in herself as a learner.  That she has high hopes and expectations of herself.  No, we don't need them to go to university.  But I do want them to know that there are many options available to them.  That they have possibilities and that we will do our best to support them.  Also, like most parents I do want to know that they will be able to support themselves and choose paths that hopefully they are always passionate about, but that we also have to work hard to achieve our goals.  My 13 year old has her sights set on veterinarian school.  She would love to work specifically with horses, but is interested in all the animals from small/pet like, to large farm animals.  Not sure where this will all go, but I am happy that she is having a positive dialogue about her future.  


My youngest, was in awe of all the buildings and even though she doesn't have a clear goal at this time, I mean she is only 10 LOL, she knows that this is a possibility.  I think of so many children that don't know that this is an option, and even more importantly that it doesn't feel like an option.  That go through high school not having that even on a choice board.  So I write this because I am grateful that my girls do.  I am grateful that we will be able to support them, no necessarily pay for their education fully, but still support them emotionally and financially in some ways.  I am grateful that these are the stories they tell themselves.  






Here are my top fall floral picks for you!









What are your weekend plans?


24 comments:

  1. That top is gorgeous and your girls are so lovely. I think everyone feels very melancholy this fall. No one feels like shopping for new clothes because of Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the right word for it, 'melancholy'. You nailed it. Thanks for the sweet complement.

      Delete
  2. What a pretty floral top! Your daughters are adorable too. I love taking pics on university grounds: usually very cool buildings.
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We love exploring the University grounds. I just love all the history!

      Delete
  3. Your girls are beauties! I love these fun shots on the university grounds! Your top is so pretty!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. It's rare that they join me for a fun post, but this was just a great opportunity to take some photos while also enjoying a family activity.

      Delete
  4. You all look like you are having so much fun! I too have been repurposing some clothes and putting "new to me" outfits together out of things I already have in my closet. My favorite piece right now has been a light weight denim shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I gave my denim shirt away in a donation pile a while back, but I do love it styled oh so many ways. Now you have me wishing that I could have it back.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you - blizzards are delicious - the mini size doesnt give me guilt either.
    Love your look. That bag is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! I am honestly thinking of making this like a monthly family treat!

      Delete
  6. Fabulously put together outfit. I agree, it is sad that so many children don't know about all of the fantastic options of a career. And even more for those whom it is not even a possibilty. But so lovely that you're 13 year old has a direction - it's so good to follow one's heart, which she obviously is doing xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It's such a privilege to just be able to entertain those thoughts and to have options to get loans and have support of a family. She is young, so her mind may change but that's okay, it's just nice to see her investing in herself. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Love this outfit! The pattern is so perfect for the fall season - I'm so excited to bust out some of my fall pieces soon :)
    Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to get my pieces out as well. What are your favorites?

      Delete
  8. This was a fun post. Love seeing your babies...they are beautiful. And your blizzards...aren't they delish? We have them at least once a month!! Your outfit is darling. Pretty colors, a little bit sassy with the cold shoulders, great fitting jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious. I just saw some coupons arrive in the mail for BOGO and I stashed them for a treat later on in October!

      Delete
    2. We love blizzards too!!! Where have I been all these years. LOL!

      Delete
  9. Blizzards ARE delicious, you are speaking my language! I love that top and I think it's great that you are working with what you already have in your closet. This is a weird year, it's okay to be in a funk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a weird year! Thank you. Hahaha. I have to tell you that now that I've had a blizzard, after many years pause, I now have coupons stashed for the next outing we have as a family. LOL. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Black florals are the best! I love the mood it exudes and even more so, the mystery. Cute top! I have something similar that you just reminded me of and need to wear!! Regarding shopping, I hear you. It's hard to want to buy more clothes when we aren't really leaving our house. I haven't had a BLIZZARD in years! We don't have a DQ near us so we'll definitely need to get out when visiting my parents in San Jose next time. This year has been hard for everyone especially for the kids. It is good to know our kids still have an option even though so sad for the kids this year that didn't have that choice. :( I hope all is well and happy Thursday!

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally speaking my language here. Yes to all of this! I'd love to see how you styled your floral top, so tag me on IG if you wear it so that I don't miss it. How is home schooling going for you now that you've been at it for a while?

      Delete
  11. Bo, this is such a fun top! What a great outfit to transition to the cooler weather. Other than the occasional thrift shop excursion, I have been mostly shopping my closet as well. No need for new things when I have too much already! I love Blizzards and haven't had one in years either. When I was in middle school (back in the 80's, eek!), my best friend and I would spend every weekend hanging out at the mall and we always, always, always made sure we had money for DQ Blizzards! Thanks for linking, my friend!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on the shopping front. I received a few items from my sisters closet and I'd really like to add a few blazers this season for work, but other than that I am completely uninspired to spend a bunch of $$$. And honestly, I am a-okay with that. We used to get DQ way back in University but then it just stopped happening. I tend to cook at home a lot so we don't go out much for meals and treats to be honest. We do when we travel but not on a regular basis.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a fun day out and what a cute top! I like the pink bag with this too :) I have done a bit of shopping this month but aside from that and January's spending I really haven't bought a lot this year - with so many unknowns it's hard to think or plan too far in advance so I haven't been in a shopping mood!

    Thanks so much for joining the #WeekdayWearLinkup! Hope that you had a wonderful weekend! :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete