Monday 4 September 2017

First Day of School Outfits 2017 Style

I am back with a special first day of school addition with my mini-me's!  Halie (Gr. 5) and Anya (Gr.2) are ready for another school year tomorrow, well as ready as they can be.  I on the other hand officially started last week, but have been going into the office for a couple of weeks now.  I love the excitement of a first day of school/work outfits.  You are ready to see all the people you haven't had a chance to meet up with all summer, to exchange summer stories and to start fresh with new goals.   It's still fairly warm here so we choose outfits that can be layered.  Youngest to oldest, lets take a look. 

Disclaimer:  I let them choose their own clothes, gone seem the days when I could dress them myself.

Anya (Gr.2)
Anya is going into grade 2 with a positive attitude and is very hopeful to get Halie's old teacher that we all loved.  She is a spitfire, quick talker, sweet manipulator, ready for action and still loves to cuddle.  She recently purchased this Mal (Decendents) jacket from the Disney Store as her back to school gift from us.   It's an adorable, faux-leather, moto jacket and worth every penny.  Everything else she already had in her closet, skirt (Gap), polka-dot top (Joe Fresh) and these sweet little tie-up flats are a Walmart special. 



Halie (Gr.5)
I have been so thankful this summer for the time I had to spend with Halie.  She is in a time of change and I was so grateful that we had so much time to connect this summer as I know she is entering an age that is generally out of my comfort zone.  She is really into MAKE-UP and clothing.  At first I wasn't sure how I felt about it but I realized this isn't something I wanted to fight her on, so instead I embraced it and taught her to put on make-up so it's neutral rather than LOOK-AT-ME. Her favorite clothing lines are Jessica Simpson and Material Girl. My sister took her shopping at the Bay and she put two outfits together depending on the weather on the first day of school. 

 

Me
I purchased this dress on the internet while on a road trip (I was the passenger).  This beauty was a steal of a deal  for $17.99  from the Bay (sorry sold out).  I had so many complements on it, and several people said I looked Greek, bonus!  I think it's the way the stark white of the dress really pops against my tanned skin color.  And who doesn't just want to gush over these oversized bell sleeves. 

Dress:  Moonrise (sold out); similar top

I am also playing along with the ladies of The Blended Blog to answer some Back-To-School questions.

1.  Did you love school or hate it?
LOVE!  I am social so it was a great place to meet people.  I also had my ups and downs, but overall it was a positive experience for me.

2.  Start school before or after Labor Day?
I start before as a teacher/consultant and the kids start after.

3.  Wake up: eager beaver or slow poke?
EAGER BEAVER!  I love morning and often annoy my family with my morning energy. 

4.  Favorite breakfast?
I eat the same thing everyday.  Peanut butter, jam (sometimes I switch it up with honey), toast. 

5.  Favorite cereal?
Before celiac diagnosis, cream of wheat covered in chocolate chips. 

6.  School uniform or no uniform? 
Thankfully I can dress the way I want to. :)

7.  New outfit for the first day or no?
Totally depends.  We usually have some new things but I didn't grow up with a 'back-to-school' shopping trip and so my kids really don't either.  We might just buy one thing or create an outfit from what we already have.  Totally different every year.

8.  Walk to school or bus> 
Drive to work.  Kids walk.

9.  Backpack, tote, or messenger bag?
Lots of bags.  LOL.  When you are a teacher you always seem to be carrying endless bags.

10.  Eat school lunch or packed lunch?
Packed.  Leftovers preferable.

11. White or chocolate milk?
Neither.  Hate milk.  Unless you consider ice cream a milk group in which case I will take any color and almost any flavor. 

12.  Paper bag or lunch box?
Lunch bag.

13.  Favorite thing to o at recess?
4 Square!!!!

14.  Favorite back to school supply item?
Colored pens and a organizer all the way.

15.  Chalkboard or dry erase board? 
Chart paper.

16.  Regular pencil or mechanical?
Mechanical is so much more fun.

17. Homework as soon as you get home or after dinner?
Right before class. 

18.  Favorite after school snack?
hmmm......

19.  Favorite after school show?
Saved By The Bell

20. Favorite subject in school?
Math.  I loved worksheets and right answers.

21.  Least favorite subject in school?
Gym. I was very uncomfortable with myself in high school.

22.  Name of your best friend in high school?
Amber and Ashely were among them.  There were others but those two are still my closest friends.

23.  High school mascot type?
No idea.

24.  SAT or ACT?
Neither thankfully.

25.  Favorite year in school? 
Gr. 5-7 spent in Kenaston. 

26.  Class ring or no class ring?
NOPE.  I do remember them having the class jackets which were not my thing and honestly my family just didn't have the $ for that.

27.  Attend or not attend high school reunion? 
If we had them I would totally attend.  I'd love to see people and hear their stories.  Many of the people I went to school with are on FB so I can see them off/on.  More than that I would love to meet the people that I went to school in Bosnia with.  I would be fascinated to find out if they are still alive, who they became and just be in their presence.


That's all for today!  Happy 2017-18 school year all!

11 comments:

  1. Your girls are adorable...and so are you. Such a beautiful family!! I still love leftovers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftovers are the bomb. We all take them, in fact I cook with leftovers in mind. Thank you for the kind words, I have to agree they are pretty darn special.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Well, I didn't get one because they were too much $ but that was what the cool kids had. 😆

      Delete
  3. Everyone looks so cute! I really want your shoes, too! I loved your Instagram post of the girls :)

    Thank you for adding your outfit to On Mondays We Link-Up! I am happy you saw that it is finally live again :)

    --Roxanne
    http://glassofglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxanne. Its great to have you ladies back but also good to unplug for a bit. Currently I am working out how I am going to make time for everything now that we are back in full swing of real life.

      Delete
  4. oh my goodness that jacket is just the cutest thing EVER! Totally great buy. Both of your girls are so cute. And yes to Saved By the Bell and LOL to right before class for homework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ✋ a girl after my own heart. Lol. Thanks for the sweet comment.

      Delete
  5. Your girls are so cute in their back to school outfits! Gym was my least favorite subject in school too!

    Jill
    Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete