Sunday 16 December 2018

The Not So Stylish Christmas Home Tour 2018



Last year I focused on getting a few new pieces for outdoors.  I still want to add some details but it'll have to wait until next year.  

A new post, FINALLY.  You may have noticed, or maybe not, but it's been a good two plus weeks since I've posted anything.  Truthfully, I've had a break from IG, Facebook, texting, blogging, etc.  Why?  No it wasn't a technology cleanse.  It wasn't to see if my life would transform in some way if I spent less time on my phone.  It was.....LIFE!  Yep, that's it.  Life happened and I just decided that I just couldn't juggle it all.  Some of you follow me on IG and you might have seen that my youngest had a tonsillectomy.  The procedure was successful and recovery was as hard as they said it would be.  We didn't sleep much for 2 weeks, work was insane, I joined a running challenge, birthday planning, Christmas was upon us, and LIFE.  I just gave myself permission to step away and survive.  I survived and now I feel happy to re-enter and re-engage.  I feel energized and thankful that I have so many things to share with both my family in the right here and now, but also with all of you.  


I want to share my home with you all.  I was going to do a home tour with my friend Ada from Elegence and Mommyhood but it just didn't happen.  My home is not a show home.  Rather its lived in.  It has touches of modern and decor but mostly it's lived in.  My tree is not one that you will find on display, but it holds a mix of delicate ornaments that some may worry will be broken by little hands, but not me.  It's the ones that can't be replaced that I most worry about, the ones that my children made with their little hands that are crocked, uneven, missing a googly eye, somewhat misplaced on a pretty tree. 



Our tree is full of mismatched ornaments but we love it just the way it is. 

Halie's first Christmas ornament.

Anya's first Christmas ornament.

Reading our favorite holiday picture book is one of our traditions.  The Gingerbread Baby, Polar Express, The Christmas Wish, and many more.


My home has a few modern decor touches such as the decorative tray in the middle of our coffee table.  Not far sits this old and unique looking Santa Clause that was gifted to us years ago by a family we knew for a short time, but nevertheless each and every year when I unpack this Santa they come to my mind and I think of them with warmth and joy.  Right by him sit the gingerbread creations that have become tradition for our family.  They've become more sophisticated and less sloppy as the girls themselves have grown up and their artistic skills, not to mention their attention span, has grown.


Fresh flowers are my absolute favorite hostess gift.  Give me all the flowers!

But my favorite is the wall and the booklets of Christmas pasts that display the pictures of our friends and family.  This year I decided to print pictures from each of the Christmas since our oldest was born to now. I am compiling them into an old school photo album (not completed yet) to treasure and look back upon to see how we have all changed, grown and to remind myself  to PAUSE.  As I write this, music gently playing, the cracking of the fake youtube fireplace in the background, a warm cup of tea beside me, tears sting my eyes.  They are happy ones because I am so grateful for this home.  This perfectly imperfect home, with a perfectly imperfect family.  So my wish for everyone is to be happy with exactly where you are and know how to embrace the changes as they occur.  


Booklets full of Christmas cards from years past.  I love looking through them and watching our friends grow and change in front of my eyes.  It truly does warm my heart.


Halie and Tanner, Christmas 2018.
Anya & Oreo, Christmas 2018


XOXO, sweet friends. 

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family!!! I love how you have your cards hung, the girl's first ornaments are so precious and I LOVE that pillow!! You did such a great job pretty mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love the kids ordaments as well.

      Delete
  2. Love seeing into your home- your card display is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. I love seeing our friends families displayed nicely.

      Delete
  3. I love your decor and I am so happy to hear your little one is feeling better! I think breaks are necessary and I'm thinking about taking one here in the next few weeks. It helps me get on track for the year and spend time with my littles who are about to go on break for school!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. I needed the break and now with the holudhol it's just been full on family time. I hope your girls are enjoying all the magic.

      Delete
  4. That's a beautiful tree and I love it even more because it has personality. It has on it ornaments of priceless times and of precious moments. I believe holidays are meant to be looked back on to see the past and the present and ornaments are a great way to do that. I love that you are also making memory books. Let me tell you, it's the best when you just want to reminisce or perhaps show your girls of a certain time. I have scrapbooks and I take pride in showing my son photos before him, photos while he was still baking and the now. It's a beautiful experience just to walk down that lane. Happy Friday and wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead!

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love scrapbooks and used to do it all the time . I would love to return to it again but for now I am happy to even get a digital one done each year. I totally agree that pictures lend themselves to traveling down memory lane in the best way possible. I want to make more time for things like that.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your home tour! Merry Christmas to you and your family, and I am totally stealing your album idea! What a great idea. My refrigerator has a similar affect on me - seeing the kids in the pictures grow bigger and more mature each year. What blessed people we are to be able to see families and children change and grow up each year!

    Virginia | More to Mrs. E

    ReplyDelete