Sunday 4 June 2023

My Top 5 Reads in 2023: Spring Edition






I love to read and really try to make it a priority when setting my goals for the year.  I don't read a ton like many people but I try to build 20 minutes a day to read and relax.  I love coming home and reading right after work to unwind and on the weekends I like to sit on the couch for longer periods of time with a cup of coffee and my book.  Way back in the day I used to read before going to bed but honestly it's not something that works for me anymore.  I am just way too tired and it feels forced, and that's not a feeling I want to prioritize.  My goal is always to read one book a month, for a total of 12 a year.  Last year I began finding audiobooks that I could focus on and enjoy while getting ready for work or cooking on the weekends.  So my goal for this year is a total of 20 books, 12 which I want to actually read.  So far I have 11 completed and I am going to give you my top five for summer 2023 in no particular order.  You can find more reviews of the books I read  on Gooodreads.



(Goodread Choice Award 2022)
This is a book I just finished for book club.  Molly Gray is an interesting leading character.  She sees the world literally and sometimes that's difficult for others to understand and connect to. She reminds us that just because someone is different doesn't mean they aren't worthy of our time and friendship.  As the story of a young woman who gets implicated in a murder unfolds, we learn to appreciate Molly and her wit, her perspective and her trustworthiness.  It's an easy read and reminded me a lot of the Rosie Project and Anxious People.




#2 Verity by Colleen Hover  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 
(Goodreads Choice Award 2019)
This was suggested to me by my 13 year old daughter and I could NOT put it down!  I am usually not into Colleen Hoover books or young adult novels, but I couldn't put this one down.  When I wasn't reading, I wanted to be.  It was a page turner, twisted, hard to stomach at times, but you can't put it down.  The story is about a young woman, an aspiring writer, who gets hired to finish off a famous writers novels after the writer is in a terrible accident which leaves her unable to communicate or move.  As the young woman begins her research she discovers a bone-chilling autobiography of the author that no one was meant to read.  The admissions are horrifying and dangerous to the husband and the one child that they share.  The young woman must figure out what is true, what is fiction, and who to trust. 




This is the perfect book  to take along on your next trip to the beach.  I listened to The Summer Place   and I loved the narrator of this audiobook!  So much that I am going to look into other books she does.   The story plot is, their 20 something year old daughter is about to get married, and her whole family is rediscovering their own pasts, their regrets, their missed love opportunities, the skeletons in their closets, and questioning the lives they choose to build.  It was an easy listen with lots of great characters whose lives intertwine and lead them to their own conclusions about what matters in  love, life and family.




(Goodreads Choice Award 2020)
A very interesting story of a woman who is debating whether her life is worth living.  As she contemplates suicide she embarks on a road of discovery in the midnight library.  Through the process she chooses to live many different lives, pursing different careers, relationships, friendships, hobbies, etc.    As she lives these lives, she quickly begins to learn that life is complicated,  and discovers a great deal about what she actually values in life.  I listened to the book and found it an interesting concept, although it's not a new idea, I really liked discovering Nora in her many lives.  




(Goodreads Choice Award 2021)

It was full of twist and turns and quick read.  It focuses of the disappearance of two young adults, a new parent couple.  At first the young couple appears to be doing okay and figuring their way out but as we learn more about their characters we realize there was a lot going on behind closed doors.  As the young girls grieving mother continues to be unsatisfied with the explanation that her daughter, and her partner, just bailed on parenting, she and a new to town mystery writer begin to uncover a disturbing story surrounding the disappearance of the young couple.  Easy to read, I kept reaching for it over and over and found it hard to put it down at times.


Your turn!  What should I pick up to read this summer?



15 comments:

  1. I haven’t read much lately unfortunately but I just listened to Spare and actually quite enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good one! I'll add that to my list. I've been on the fence about it honestly but I think it would make an excellent audiobook.

      Delete
  2. Have read many positive reviews on Verity. I put it on a consideration list for our book club but it wasn't chosen for our monthly read. There are so many good books out there and I am such a sloooooow reader. Dang it!!

    I liked The Midnight Library, too. Pinned The Night... so I can remember it for next month's consideration list. Sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look up The Night. Verity is very dark and twisted, but also shockingly good.

      Delete
  3. I really want to read the Midnight Library!

    Jennifer
    Curated by Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really interesting. Gets a bit repetitive at one point but also needs that to hit home the lesson that it's trying to convey. Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to purchase the new Nicci French and Karen Slaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of these authors so definitely checking them out!

      Delete
  5. These are great books that you have read lately. I have heard good things about Verity and I am excited to see how I will like this book. I also love Lisa Jewell and read a different book by her. I need to check out The Night She Disappeared as well!

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good and I think if you like Lisa Jewell, you will enjoy Verity It's dark and twisted, but so are many of Lisa's books.

      Delete
  6. These are all interesting books
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/06/my-first-emerald-sapphire-engagement-ring-from-joancee.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Verity sounds like such an amazing read- thanks for sharing these book rec's, Bo!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed Verity, The Maid, & the Midnight Library too; all very different books that stand out but I'm not sure if they ever made it onto my favorites lists. I read a lot of book (usually around 120/ year) and it can get so hard to pick just a few favorites! My favorite this past month was probably Someone Else's shoes by Jojo Moyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Verity was so good! Adding these others to my library list. I just finished The Party Crasher by Sophie Kinsella and I Did Not Miss the Boat by Lea Tran and enjoyed both. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I haven't read the others I did really enjoy the Midnight Library! :) I Enjoy Matt Haig's books. I find it hard to get time for audio books, but reading before bed works for me. Reading during the day is trickier as it's hard to find time - when the kids are relaxing and reading on the sofa I'm often getting lunch or dinner organised or busy with cleaning or laundry, but I'd love to get back into reading more often during the day :)

    ReplyDelete