Wednesday 28 March 2018

Mommy Diaries: Life of a Single Mom

I am writing this post the night before it’s due because it wouldn’t be a true reflection of my life had I completed it any sooner. I am single mother to a ferocious brilliant firecracker of a six year old who challenges me with more than I ever realized I had the capacity to handle.

 

 

I write this as he sits beside me, refusing to go to bed.  I write this at the end of an exhausting day where he stayed home with me while I worked because it was his first day on the new kind of medication he is taking.  

I write this because he has unleashed a level of attitude I have not been prepared for. And I write this, because as parents we are in this together.

 

My name is Jodi and I am a mother, a baker, a chef, a yogi, a teacher, and a working professional.  Sometimes, rarely, I am the person I was before I had a child.   I am trying to define what “I”  looks like now with so much of myself dedicated to so many different  roles to act out. 

 

 

 

I am blessed to work from home and make my own hours working for a non profit organization providing homestay opportunities for international students studying in Saskatoon. I also teach yoga, it’s my passion, my fitness and quite frankly my mental health medicine.

 

 

 

 

I have a penchant for cakes and bake to my heart’s content in my tiny kitchen, making pretty things that taste divine. Sometimes this is my side hustle for a little extra money.

 

I also love to cook and before I had my son I was obsessed with reading about Le Cordon Bleu in France, but not obsessed enough to incur more student loans after having just paid them off from university. Now I cook to create warmth and social connections around our dinner table, often inviting friends to stay and join us for a meal.

 

 

 

My sweet boy was diagnosed with ADHD, it’s been a long road with beautiful supportive friends holding me up, opinionated educators judging me loudly for not doing enough, and health care providers commending me for all that I have done. This world of parenting has taught me to use my voice, and it took a long time to use it loudly, to advocate for my child, to love him through tears (both his and my own), and to embrace new paths where I was nervous to take them.

 

We have started a new school, we are becoming a part of a new community and we have been welcomed and supported in our new adventure.

 

 

 

Sometimes I get grouchy, I cry, I complain and feel as though I can’t possibly take another day. Sometimes I float, I get my hair done, I have coffee with a friend, I go to a sweaty yoga class, I drink a glass of red wine, and I watch This Is Us so I can cry just a little bit more. My life is messy, it’s beautiful, it’s blessed.  My life is with a sweet six year old boy who is always in my arms when I need a hug and a kiss. 

3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing woman! Moms, who are working from home, don't have unlimited time with their kids, but they do have more frequent opportunities to be with their children. That's why I've also chosen this option and I don't regret about this choice. I'd like to advise you reading this article http://www.agsinger.com/start-a-fashion-business-with-clothing-lines-you-can-sell-from-home/ about starting a fashion business from home. I'm doing it right now :) It allows me to maintain my income on the same level as it was when I was working full-time in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really I am impressed by this post..!! I don't have any words to appreciate this post..Thanks for sharing this post. I’m always curious for earning money online so I thought I would share this post here for those who are interested for extra income for single moms. Hope this helps someone else who is in a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete